News blog for Seattle's Wedgwood and View Ridge neighborhoods

Wedgwood View header image 2

Pandora’s strip club to open next week; neighborhood councils still opposed

Posted by Mike on June 29th, 2011

The owner of Pandora’s Adult Cabaret told community councils on Tuesday that he intends to open the strip club after the July 4 holidays.

Both the Maple Leaf and the Wedgwood community councils have gone on record as saying the club, at  8914 Lake City Way N.E., is improperly permitted.

But Joe Walker told the councils he drove through most of the city looking for a site where a strip club would be allowed.

According to a post on the Wedgwood council site:

This meeting followed the request of Mr. Walker, who posted in the comments section of several community blogs that he would like to meet to discuss his 27 years in the adult business. All of Mr. Walker’s former experience was with Talents West, owned by the Colacurcio family, where he was the head DJ at Sugar’s, Honey’s, and finally at Rick’s Strip Club. Mr. Walker explained why he thought the infamous Rick’s Strip Club was so disliked by the neighbors and its immediate surrounding community as well as why he thought Pandora’s Adult Cabaret would be different.

This gesture of Mr. Walker was welcomed by the community councils; however, did nothing to change our contention that the Pandora Adult Cabaret shouldn’t be allowed by the City.

The council post also noted that although strip clubs can’t serve alcohol, the Shanty Tavern next to the club can. “Currently, the Shanty is opened two nights a week, but Mr. Walker recognized that this could change depending upon what the owner of the Shanty Tavern wanted to do. Mr. Walker’s approach though is that he would rather have intoxicated men/women come in and sober up in his club instead of driving elsewhere.”

We are awaiting a response from the City to our June 15th email and June 21st joint letter detailing our opposition to the permit issuance.

The full council post can be read here.

Tags: Uncategorized

11 reader comments so far ↓

• 1 Susan // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Why does everyone comment at Maple Leaf and no one does in Wedgwood?

• 2 JessAlan // Jul 1, 2011 at 8:53 am

Maybe Lake City will finally get the impression that there ARE people in the Seattle area that actually WANT more clubs to open! As a professional type worker & a 40 year club attendee, I say go for it!
    Get the permits correct & set up the place in a decent manner, & it will fill up with dancers & customers very quickly! The vast majority of clubs are filled with regular guys looking for a good time, not gals to “date”! Give it a chance! Plus it will employ likely 40+ workers!!

• 3 Greg // Jul 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm

JessAlan, I encourage you and others with your taste in entertainment to find a business district where people relish having nightclubs typically trafficking in one form of criminal behavior or another and open as many as you like. I have no issues with communities establishing their own standards with respect to the types of businesses they want to support. I think the protests of the Wedgwood and Maple Leaf Community Councils are simply underscoring the fact that they don’t want to support these particular types of businesses. I would also be willing to wager that a number of the patrons of these clubs don’t actually live in our neighborhoods and wouldn’t be too keen on having a strip joint open up down the street from their own homes or employing their wives or daughters. Frankly, as a professional-type 40 year-old regular guy myself, a resident of the community and having had close friends who have served as employees and ‘talent’ at these establishments and can attest to the commonplace presence of drug use, prostitution, racketeering and other illegal activity, I likewise don’t want it near my daughter, my property or my neighborhood.

• 4 Susan // Jul 4, 2011 at 10:13 am

JessAlan, I suggest that you move north to Lake City Way and 145th, that way you can go to the club there all you want. I live in the neighborhood and was encouraged by the upgrading of Lake City Way with the closing of Rick’s and the establishment of new classier businesses in Lake City. I really don’t want this or anyother new strip clubs to open. I would rather have a Trader Joe’s and some better restaurants.

• 5 Stripper // Jul 5, 2011 at 1:35 am

Please open as many stripclubs as possible in seattle and surrounding areas, I want this city 2 be the next Las vegas/sin city.

• 6 Peggy // Jul 5, 2011 at 1:43 am

I agree with stripper, need more stripclubs in the Seattle area, I miss Ricks/Honey’s 2 name a few, by the way I am not associated with the Discover Card peggy, thanks for reading.

• 7 Susan // Jul 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

Well the one north doesn’t seem too busy so they should have plenty of room up there for you.

• 8 Anonymous // Jul 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm

The patrons and employer/employees better behave themselves. Many eyes will be watching very, very closely.

• 9 wanacmoore // Jul 8, 2011 at 5:38 am

In the past I have patronized these kinds of facilities and have not seen these drugs, prostitution, and other events some of you have been talking about. Most guys go in, sit down, enjoy the show, and leave. The roudy ones are like Chip n Dales. Women seem to be way more vocal at these places then men. Maybe its because we have had them for men longer. Suprised to hear a guy complaining up there, usually its just women. Either way, I dont like churches in my neighborhood or door to door bible thumpers, but I deal with it because of freedom of speach. Guess what I am saying is if you refuse this kind of establishment, then you have to do the churches too.

• 10 JessAlan // Jul 8, 2011 at 9:27 am

Freedom is a good point here. If there are people wanting to open a strip club or a restaurants, & they have proper permits, then let them open. If they become lawbreakers, then close them! I have never in 40+ years at these clubs dealt with anyone asking me for anything but a dance! I’ve not seen raids by cops, fights, or even loud screaming going on! I lived in Lake City for awhile & enjoyed being able to go to a restaurant or a strip club. I respect your feelings, but respect mine too! Yeah, freedom is a good point here!!

• 11 JessAlan // Jul 13, 2011 at 8:55 am

I went to the club on opening night, 7/12/2011, and was quite impressed. There is plenty of parking, the inside looks great, there are ceiling fans for keeping cool, a decent VIP lounge area, an entertaining DJ, and the girls are “7″ or above! The outer signage isn’t finished, but the proposed look is quite good.
    Support your local club guys! Seattle tends to make it hard for these clubs to stay open! There are several people that have JOBS now, and this is a DECENT place! I will be going there frequently. I highly recommend it.